Tuesday, February 26, 2013

SQL Delphi Data Components


I am going to tell you briefly of a fabulous product from Devart.com: their Data Access Components for MySQL (MyDac): http://www.devart.com/mydac/
I was working in a language called Pascal in an IDE called Delphi. Not widely used, however, quite powerful. I created a point-of-sale system and because we were rushed to market, who isn’t these days, I did not look around for any database components. I figured the components Delphi had were fine.
The problem arose soon after we went live – Memorial Day weekend. 100+ terminals all banging away at MySQL and my POS system. Response to/from the DB was very slow. June went by without a solution. July went by – a little better with some tweaks to code, but not by much.
Finally, on August 1st I found MyDac from Devart. I downloaded their trial version of the MyDac components. They installed without issue and I ran some basic tests in only a few minutes. It was completely user-friendly to use. Their help file is detailed and organized but I did not find this out until months later when I used MyDac to do other, more complicated tasks.
I had built my database classes in such a manner where I only had to replace the units/libraries from Delphi’s to Devart’s. Then, I cast my components as MyDac: TDatabase to TMyDatabase and TTable as TMyTable for example.
I compiled and it ran!
I had to make ZERO changes to my code.
I ran some tests locally with success. Then, contacting the client indicated I wanted to put this test onto one or two terminals. Eagerly, they agreed. Moments after it was installed, they called back and asked if something was wrong? I asked them to explain and they stated it was running so fast, they thought nothing was being saved or updated in the database. I assured them through reports, indeed the data was there – it was just amazingly fast now.
Did I tell the client it was Devart who I have to thank for this great performance improvement over the standard Delphi components? Of course I didn’t. They think I just found the magic solution and thought very highly of me and were very happy.
I was happy too.
Devart, you saved my butt back then and probably the product and client.
I am looking to purchase their products as they are clearly well done and superior to the standard components.
Thank you Devart.

No comments:

Post a Comment